You know it has been “one of those days” when the thought of forming hamburger patties seems like too much work! Luckily for us, our favorite vintage recipe for moist and flavorful hamburgers works quite well as a “sloppy Joe” recipe, too. Except for the hamburger, everything comes from some sort of bottle and goes together in about 20 minutes. This easy vintage recipe for sloppy devils is certainly faster and more delicious than take-out will ever be!
Over the years of exploring vintage recipes, I have discovered that if the recipe says “deviled” in it, then it is going to have mustard or horseradish in it to give it some heat. True to form, the original recipe had both prepared mustard and horseradish in it. But don’t worry. The mustard and horseradish provides just enough of a “kick” without being overwhelming.
If you need to feed a crowd after a game (you’ll need to double or triple the recipe) or are just feeling too tired to cook, I encourage you to try my “sloppy devils!”
Until next time,
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 pound other ground meat such as pork or turkey
- 2 teaspoons fat or oil (optional)
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 2 teaspoons instant minced onions
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- If using an extra lean meat, heat the fat or oil in a saucepan or spray saucepan with a no-stick spray.
- Add meat and cook until brown.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook over low heat another five minutes.
- Serve on toasted buns.
- For a perfect accompaniment, serve cool vegetables, such as cucumbers and carrots.
Do You Want to Live a Gracious and Elegant Life?
Subscribe to the Modern Retro Woman mailing list to receive newsletters and information I don't share on the blog. As my way of welcoming you to the community, I will send you my Five Days to a More Gracious and Elegant Life mini-ecourse. Oh, and for good measure, you'll also get instant access to the wardrobe planning printable when you subscribe. Yes, indeed!