What do you do with leftover meat sauce when you don’t want to put it over pasta? Easy! With the help of an eggplant and Mozzarella cheese, you turn it into filling casserole!
I found the original recipe in the Good Housekeeping Book of Vegetables from 1958. It called for canned sauce with meatballs and sliced cheese. I updated it to use as a “planned over” recipe and to take advantage of packages of shredded cheese. If you decide to go with jarred sauce, you will need about 31 ounces total.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup cooking oil
- 3-4 cups tomato-based meat sauce
- 1/2 pound shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Heat oven to 350ºF
- Wash eggplant
- Slice into 1/2" slices
- Dredge eggplant in flour combined with salt and pepper
- Sauté eggplant slices in a little hot oil until both sides are brown. Add oil as needed.
- In casserole, arrange half of the eggplant slices in one layer.
- Top the eggplant with 1/2 the meat sauce
- Cover the meat sauce with 1/2 of the cheese
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of oregano over the cheese.
- Repeat the layers, ending with the oregano.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes. Serve with a crisp green salad.
Do You Want to Live a Gracious and Elegant Life?
Subscribe to the Modern Retro Woman newsletter to receive the Five Days to a More Gracious and Elegant Life mini-ecourse. Oh, and did I mention the instant access to the wardrobe planning printable when you subscribe? Yes, indeed!