Our success mentor, Alfred Armand Montapert, wants us to know that we are in charge of our lives. Yes, there are external forces pushing against us but what we make of our lives is up to us. He is giving us permission to embrace our success…no matter what. But, with that permission also comes the requirement to take ownership of our failures…and what we do after we’ve failed. Do we get back up? Or, do we stay on the ground wallowing in self pity.
Some of the advice Mr. Montapert gives us is:
- Your success depends upon you.
- Your happiness depends upon you.
- You have to steer your own course.
- You have to shape your own fortune.
- You have to educate yourself.
- You have to do your own thinking.
- You have to live with your own conscience.
- Your mind is yours and can only be used by you.
- You must make your own decisions.
- You must abide by the consequences of your decisions.
- You alone can regulate your habits and make or unmake your health.
- You must stand on your feet, physically and metaphorically.
- You must take your own steps.
- You have to solve your own problems.
- You are the creator of your own personality.
- You can be disgraced by no man’s hand but your own.
- You have to build your own monument–or dig your own pit. Which are you doing?
A few months ago, I was reading What Would Grace Do? How to Live Life in Style Like the Princess of Hollywood. I was reminded that even though Grace Kelly was the daughter of wealthy parents, she refused to live the life her parents wanted her to lead and she took charge of her life and career. Hollywood contracts came with all sorts of strings attached but she would have none of it. She created her own definition of success and achieved it.
You only have one life. Don’t waste it living someone else’s dream. Live your own version of a dream life.
Do You Want to Live a Gracious and Elegant Life?
Subscribe to the Modern Retro Woman newsletter to receive the Five Days to a More Gracious and Elegant Life mini-ecourse. Oh, and did I mention the instant access to the wardrobe planning printable when you subscribe? Yes, indeed!