A fudge recipe purporting to be good for you? That’s exactly what this recipe clipping advertising skimmed evaporated milk is trying to get us to believe. After all, it is 99% fat free! I doubt my grandmother believed it was a healthy alternative but it made me smile when I found it in her recipe box. I’ll admit, though, that I make it using the full fat evaporated milk.
This recipe is crazy easy to make and has replaced the recipe on the back of the creamed marshmallow jar as my favorite fudge.
Make sure you use a heavy pan and stir constantly so that the sugar and milk don’t end up getting scorched while you are boiling it.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cups evaporated milk
- 12 regular marshmallows
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3-4 grains of salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix sugar, milk, marshmallows, butter and salt in a heavy 2-quart saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat to a boil (bubbling all over the top of the mixture).
- Boil and stir 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Add the chocolate and stir until completely melted.
- Stir in the nuts and vanilla.
- Spread in a buttered 8-inch square pan. Cool.
- Cut into 30 pieces.
- Make sure you use a heavy pan and stir constantly so that the sugar and milk don’t end up getting scorched while you are boiling it.