I Want A Stole!

Dear Friends,

Every time I watch an old movie or Perry Mason, I yearn to be like the women who have some sort of stole casually wrapped around their shoulders.

Ahem, I said shoulders!

Julie London’s Calendar Girl album cover

This is what I look like in my imagination…only blonde, of course.

Time for me to clean house!

Technically, I already have a stole in a traditional liturgical/academic sense.  It is the velvet front panel of my doctoral regalia.  But I can’t fling it over my shoulders.  Well I could.  But people would really stare at me more than they do already.

I paid more for this than I did for my wedding gown...I told The Mister I'd be wearing it two or three times a year. It didn't quite work out that way, though...

The other night, The Mister and I went to a closing reception for a big art exhibition.  It had been quite warm during the day but the temperature was starting to drop in the late afternoon yet it was still too warm for a coat.  I considered wearing a velvet shawl/cape/giant scarf I had made eons ago but felt it was a bit too dressy for this affair.  I opted for my basic cardigan but left it in the car when we arrived.

We were there for about 15 minutes when She walked in.  A beautiful woman –in her late 70′s or early 80′s–and she was wearing a yellow stole that coordinated with her “ladies who lunch” suit.  It wasn’t an animal-based stole, so it was perfect for the occasion.  It wasn’t knitted but it was definitely a yarn of some sort fluffed up and attached to a satin base.  From just being able to adore the stole from across the room, I would put it at a 1950′s vintage.  (I have hunted high and low for a picture of it and haven’t even come close.)

And, of course, she had it draped casually over one shoulder (*swoon*).

Comments

1. says

I am drawn to styles that I could never wear, and I can’t find an image to which I could aspire.

But I really think we could find an acceptable evening wrap at an affordable price. I just don’t seem to step up to it, perhaps because I so seldom need it.

2. Dr. Julie-Ann says

Actually, because it is considered unpopular to wear real fur, vintage stoles are quite reasonably priced on ebay and etsy. My biggest problem is that it is too darn hot for a fur 90% of the time here in Los Angeles and I want to see the stole in person before I buy it to make sure that it was stored properly and doesn’t look like something the cat dragged in.

3. says

Knitted stoles are great! One can make them of various fibers so one would have something to fit all seasons. I love ‘em!

4. says

So, Dr. J., are you saying you want a fur stole despite the unpopularity?

Picking and choosing my battles against what’s popular, I think I’ll let the furs go and opt for something off my crochet hook.

5. Dr. Julie-Ann says

I’ve owned two fur jackets (one new and one vintage) in my adult life and I was grateful for the warmth they provided me when temps dropped down below freezing. That said, just because I want a fur stole, doesn’t mean I will get one for the reasons I mentioned above–it just isn’t practical here in Los Angeles. When I moved to Los Angeles, I gave up the fur.

6. Hairball says

Love the pic of you in your regalia!

I had a job many years ago at ladies clothing store where we had a furrier that came in twice a year to do shows. My coworkers were always after me to try on some of the items. I handled the furs as little as possible, as touching the various fur items always made me think of someone wearing one of my pets. :(

I admit to being a hypocrite that doesn’t mind leather though…

7. Hairball says

Oops,forgot to add this….

Mr. Hairball found me two really nice wool ruanas a few years back on Ebay. Those are a nice option because unless you make a drastic change in your dress size, they will still fit okay and you can usually find both casual and dressy styles to fit your needs.