Odds and Ends

Here is a sampling of things that have come across my desk or piqued my curiosity or are just random thoughts…

• I think cabbage is my new favorite vegetable.  Sorry artichoke hearts.  It all started innocently enough with the Carrot-Raisin Salad and just grew from there.  We’ve been having it a lot recently just chopped up and mixed with a mayo-sour cream-sugar dressing (glop a little mayo, a little sour cream and about a teaspoon of sugar into a small bowl, mix it up and the add it to the chopped cabbage).
  • This recipe for 1881 Coffee Cafe’s Dutch Apple Walnut Loaf that was featured in today’s Los Angeles Times’ food section looks really good.  Note that it isn’t for the faint of heart.  Each serving has 390 calories and 19 grams of fat.

• I hope my summer bedspread arrives before summer is over.  I bought it on sale from JC Penney (and had an additional coupon) but it has been on back order.  I guess I’m not the only one who wants a chenille bedspread!
  • I’ve started preferring Kmart over Target.  I know, I know.  Kmart has “that” reputation but about a year ago I was drawn into Kmart by an ad for something I wanted and I was amazed by how positive my experience was.  And they have all of the “classic” housewares stuff.  And all of the classic cosmetics stuff.  And, so far, everything we need I’ve found there–including Wrangler jeans for My Honey. It seems like my trips to Target are becoming more and more frustrating.  I needed to buy two more Pyrex loaf pans and Target didn’t have them.  They had about 20 different fancy Pyrex things but nothing basic like a cake or loaf pan or mixing/measuring bowls.  Everything in the housewares section was “hippified” with some designer name on it.  I’m not hip.  I just want my basic stuff, thank you very much.

Comments

1. Peony Moss says

KMart also carries NordicWare cookie sheets and loaf pans — good, heavy, made-in-USA untreated aluminum, the pans I’ve been looking for for twenty years.

2. DrMolly says

And we have not Target wihtin 90 miles of us, but a small K-mart ~15 miles away.

I wanted to share my recipe for dressing I use on carrot-raisin salad or coleslaw (I make this from cabbage or broccoli stem or even shredded kohlrabi). It is siimilar to the one you have here, but no sour cream (I’m lactose intolerant): a “dollop” of mayo and a little honey, plus some “Mrs. Dash regular”; mix really well and add enough lemon juice to make it “mixable” – you can choose the amount of honey & lemon juice to taste. We like it better than using sugar – my mum’s traditional recipe altered – she used sugar.

3. Kathy Warnock says

Nice “odds & ends” post. Our nearest Target is 100 miles away in Spokane, and I don’t seek it out. We do have a regular (not super) K-Mart, and I haven’t poked around there in years. Probably 15 years ago they experimented with self-check, mostly eliminating regular check stands — and that eliminated me as a customer. Then my husband, a K-Mart fan, noticed that he was paying much more at K-Mart for his hardware-type items, and he quit going there. But — I will stop by and take a look at the housewares.

The cake looks great, but alas! I would probably devour 1600 calories in one sitting. I’ll give the various cabbage / carrot dressings a try, though. A refreshing change from lettuce salad.

I used to change bedspreads between winter and summer. Any more I just pull the bedspread back in summer. But chenille will be a nice retro look.

4. Lidian says

I love cabbage – we saute it until it is a little caramelized and it’s quite yummy.

And I wish, oh I wish, there was K-Mart (ditto Target) here in Canada!

5. Melissa says

I de-lurked to say that I like your bedspread. Surprisingly I found a polka dot chenille one in the L.L. Bean Catalog. I didn’t expect to find anything retro in there. I found a K-mart in my area that looks like it hasn’t been updated since the 70′s. I purposely go there occasionally just to feel like I’ve stepped back in time.

6. The Vintage Reader says

Kmart was even better when they had Martha Stewart, but she left them for Macy’s. I bought some wonderful Marthaware then–a covered batter bowl (to replace my beloved Fire King batter bowl that fell off the counter and shattered), refrigerator dishes, a cake safe that has a rack in it so you can do two tiers of cupcakes or two pies, and best of all: a food mill! Actually, the food mill is kind of cheap, but I only use it once a year, so I don’t mind. Also, the Martha Stewart bedding at Kmart was not good at all. It was pretty, but not well-made.

Oh, and the laundry accessories!! She had collapsible boxes to put in your dresser drawers to keep them organized. My grandmother would have loved them. There were Martha Stewart clothespins (good ones that didn’t get sprung the first time you used them), and ironing board covers and shelf paper with cute vintage prints… sigh. I miss that shelf paper. It was REALLY good. Lightly adhesive, so it stayed in place, but it also came up easily.

When Kmart closed out all the Martha Stewart Everyday stuff a couple of years ago, I bought two sets of beautiful white dishes, a set of canisters, some juice glasses, and some lovely heavy cut-glass tumblers. Martha Stewart knows how to do retro without being campy. The stuff she’s got at Macy’s is more modern and not as practical, and I don’t like it as much.

7. DrMolly says

Oh, rats! I did not know that they had done that. I used to get the bath towels, etc. from her collection. They were good for the price. Ah well, back to the search.

8. Kathy Warnock says

I enjoyed what “The Vintage Reader” had to say about the Martha Stewart line.

Once upon a time, a set of sheets at Kmart took my eye, and if memory serves, it was of the Martha Stewart line. I thought they were very pretty, but the design was “morning glory.” Morning glory is an invasive weed in our part of the country, no matter the variety, and we fight it continually. I thought it was strange that Martha and company would go for that design.

9. Kathy Warnock says

I wanted to comment about Noxzema and noticed that comments are closed on that post — so I’ll just put it here on “Odds and Ends.”

My daughter complained that her nose was dry and peeling, so I suggested Noxzema and mentioned the discussion on this blog. She said she remembered having a jar of it in high school and had considered buying some, but she thought it was expensive. I gave her my jar to use while she was visiting and she noticed immediate improvement with her dry skin. So — another life touched by the Noxzema post.

10. Dr. Julie-Ann says

Kathy, spammers like to do their evil deeds via “old posts” so I started closing comments after 14 days. It has cut down on the amount of spam I have to delete immensely!

You know, it is funny, I almost didn’t do the Noxzema post and look how many lives were touched by it! I’m glad it helped her out.

Trackbacks