Here is a sampling of things that have come across my desk or piqued my curiosity or are just random thoughts…
- I think cabbage is my new favorite vegetable. Sorry artichoke hearts. It all started innocently enough with the Carrot-Raisin Salad and just grew from there. We’ve been having it a lot recently just chopped up and mixed with a mayo-sour cream-sugar dressing (glop a little mayo, a little sour cream and about a teaspoon of sugar into a small bowl, mix it up and the add it to the chopped cabbage).
- This recipe for 1881 Coffee Cafe’s Dutch Apple Walnut Loaf that was featured in today’s Los Angeles Times’ food section looks really good. Note that it isn’t for the faint of heart. Each serving has 390 calories and 19 grams of fat.
- I’m not sure if I am mesmerized by this working Moving Solar System Model (seen on the 1950’s Atomic Ranch House blog) or if it will give me The Day The Earth Stood Still nightmares.
- I hope my summer bedspread arrives before summer is over. I bought it on sale from JC Penney (and had an additional coupon) but it has been on back order. I guess I’m not the only one who wants a chenille bedspread!
- I’ve started preferring Kmart over Target. I know, I know. Kmart has “that” reputation but about a year ago I was drawn into Kmart by an ad for something I wanted and I was amazed by how positive my experience was. And they have all of the “classic” housewares stuff. And all of the classic cosmetics stuff. And, so far, everything we need I’ve found there–including Wrangler jeans for My Honey. It seems like my trips to Target are becoming more and more frustrating. I needed to buy two more Pyrex loaf pans and Target didn’t have them. They had about 20 different fancy Pyrex things but nothing basic like a cake or loaf pan or mixing/measuring bowls. Everything in the housewares section was “hippified” with some designer name on it. I’m not hip. I just want my basic stuff, thank you very much.